This is ME, take it or leave it...

Sunday, February 03, 2013

Yes, my father was THE Bonhomme

We have all gone through this. Your 13, and it's NOT cool to go into a store called "Bargain Harolds", or "BiWay".  Remember those stores?  I am SO guilty of this. My mother would drag me into those stores almost every week. But if someone saw me go in, the whole school knew the next day. And god forbid you wear anything or buy anything from there. That was even worst then going INTO the store. The embarrassment of being seen in those stores at the tender age of 13 brings back such fond childhood memories. At 13, your trying to come into your own. Reaching milestones that can be very hard for a young pre-teen. Now a days though?  Going into Dollarama? Love it. Love a good deal. Not for some things of course, but for fun kid stuff, or snacks, or cottage accessories, the dollar store rules.

Ahhh, speaking of childhood memories, there is one I will never ever forget. My dad being the Bonhomme Carnaval. Back then, the arena would be packed fully with people of all ages, and there wouldn't be an empty seat. There was also a carnaval queen and the whole nine yards. Times have definitely changed, and it's kinda sad since our french heritage seems to be slipping away.

I am 13, and in junior high school. The carnival will be starting soon which means lots of fun activities at the arena and through the french schools all over town. Someone known in the community has been chosen to be the Bonhomme but no one will know who that is for 2 weeks. That's right, the year my dad was Bonhomme was the first year they did it for 2 weeks.

I am at a school called Cite Des Jeunes and word has it that the Bonhomme is making it's way through our school and all the classes. I think to myself, "oh great, a visit from Bonhomme, big whoopee".  Remember, I'm 13 and too cool for this crap. Sure enough, Bonhomme shows up in our class. And it tends to gravitate towards me and put it's arm around me. I thought "great this Bonhomme is creepy".

So during the course of 2 weeks, I participated in tons of activities. I even joined cheerleading and danced on the ice with my school, and did the whole "I think I'm cool cause I'm 13" thing.

It's the day they will unveil the Bonhomme and I am in the living room hanging out with my dad. It's almost time to head to the arena for the end of the carnaval. I tell him that mom wants me to go on the ice to take pictures of the bonhomme when they take his "mask" off. I tell him that it's not what I want to do, but that mom is making me do it. I then looked at my dad straight in the eye and say "papa, are you the bonhomme"? He says "voyons Rachelle, of course I'm not".  I think to myself "thank god, how embarrassing would that be".

So my father tells my mother and I that he will meet us there since he has to show a house before the festivities. (what a lie that was haha)  Once we arrive to the arena, my mom kept making me go beside Bonhomme so she could get pictures of me and it. I had friends continually come over to me asking me to go hang out and run around the arena (u know act like a 13 year old too cool for anything) but nope, I had to stay with the Bonhomme. I finally beg her to tell me who the bonhomme is. I mean BEG and beg. She finally says "oh it's his best buddy". I thought, OMG it's Marcel. (those that know me, know who his best buddy named Marcel is haha).

With my mom filming (god how embarrassing) and me with my camera ready (even more embarrassing) the "mask" comes off. HOLY SHIT. HOLY SHIT. (I look towards my mom filming this, and she proceeds to tell me, no wait YELL at me to "take the picture, take the picture"). It's my freaking dad. Why in Jesus name would my dad be Bonhomme. Oh man, I'm even more embarrassed now. Not only did I have to take pictures with it, and of it, it ended up being my dad. I felt awkward (hellllooo? I'm 13). I was so shocked I froze.

Here is the picture of the day. (I also have my own personal pictures but will have to scan them at some point).  This is my dad's face coming out of the mask :)




Fast forward to today. Looking back on all the embarrassment I felt back then, it still brings back warm fuzzies thinking of how much it means to me to have been a part of something so major in our community. Being asked Bonhomme is a big honour and I am so proud to say my father was in fact a Bonhomme Carnaval. I am thankful I got to witness my father being something that is amazing to our french background. Today my little girls got to meet this Bonhomme that we have talked about for so many years.
 
Here is my father this morning at his house. You can see how proud my father is
to have the honour of being the "boss" this year ;)
 
My father and all his girls.
 
 Madison joined us today for lots of fun
 
My dad proudly showing Bonhomme a picture of when he was Bonhomme

So although I may have been an embarrassed 13 year old girl, this is something that is part of who I am. It's not something that I can or would ever forget. My dad was a proud man to show the French community how it's done. You can tell when he talks about it to this day he has nothing but amazing memories surrounding his time as Bonhomme.

Today my little girls got a piece of their mama's history and Arielle is hoping to meet Bonhomme again next weekend when they unveil the "mask". 

Papa, je t'aime beaucoup is je suis fiere d'etre ta fille.
                                xoxoxoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment